Every couple of days, I go to the gym in the morning before work and utilize the locker room shower and hair dryers to get ready for work. Recently, I've noticed the amount of people in the locker room that walk around naked. I'm not talking a quick moment of nakedness while taking off your gym clothes and wrapping a towel around you. I'm talking about full nudity for extended periods of time.
It may be just me, but I'm slightly uncomfortable with one lady in particular who feels the need to walk around fully nude and chat LOUDLY to anyone and everyone she sees. One day a few weeks ago, this particular woman struck up a conversation with me as I was washing my hands about the ankle brace I was wearing. I didn't know where to look during this brief and uncomfortable conversation. What got me even more was that she was without shower shoes. And just today, I walked into the locker room after a pretty tough workout, and first in my line of vision was her naked butt while she was leisurly blow drying her hair. I found that to be a little extreme.
I know that this is more acceptable to some than it is with me and I'm also all for loving your body, but I feel like there is a line to be drawn with appropriate nudity in this situation. I've come up with some rules as far as this that I think all people should follow when exercising locker room etiquette.
1. Nudity in the locker room is okay, as long as it is for a brief moment as you are changing your clothing.
2. Never under any circumstance should you strike up a conversation with a total stranger with your boobs, butt, and genitals in clear view.
3. Flip flops or shower shoes should be worn when showering in locker rooms and one should not be barefoot at any time in a public locker room. It's gross to not follow this rule.
4. Blow-drying your hair while completely nude is unneccesary. They make towels/robes for that purpose.
5. I support the love of ones body, but I do not need to see it in its entirety. Period.
I may get a number of people disagreeing with me on the point I am making, but I don't care. There is a time and place to prance around naked, the gym locker room is not one of those places.