Sunday, March 28, 2010

Confessions of a Foodie

I love food. I'm sure everyone can say this to some extent, but I feel like I may love food more than the average person. I am a self-diagnosed foodie. I have moments where I am so excited about what I am eating that I feel a sense of disappointment when I am finished. I love the entire process of a meal from fixing it, to cooking it, to eating it. Other than cleaning up afterward, I could spend my life cooking and eating.

I want every new and not so new kitchen gadget I see. I could probably spend a small fortune in Bed Bath and Beyond. I watch The Food Network regularly and keep a running list in my head of every gadget my kitchen is missing. I even ask for these things for Christmas and my Birthday. I also actually use them. I have not one gadget in my kitchen that goes unused.

In addition to kitchen gadgets, I could also spend hours, not to mention millions, at a gourmet grocery store. These stores are my version of heaven. Olive bars, cheese displays, fresh baked breads, and fresh produce make me giddy. I like to hit every display, read labels, browse the different choices and make my selections. I'm not kidding when I say I could spend HOURS in a grocery store.

Someday, I would like to take a vacation to sample the foods of different places. First on my list would be Italy. I am especially fond of Italian cuisine and would love learning more about it. I'm not sure why, but food wise, I feel more in tune and closer to my Italian roots. I just love Italian cuisine and probably make more Italian inspired meals in my kitchen than anything. I recently have had some interest in learning to speak a little bit of Italian...I think it's fun knowing what the name of certain food means, and the origins of what these words are.

On top of all of these things, it's important to me that my food is healthy. I like to "clean up" ordinary recipes using fresher and more nutritious choices. This is like a game to me. I substitute things and leave certain things out of recipes and when I have success I feel triumphant. I love when Justin says something is "really good, babe" despite being the healthier version of one of his favorites. I love developing new, healthy recipes and pairing different flavors and textures. It's my form of creative expression.

I could go on for hours about my love of food and cooking it. I love that as I have grown older my interests in things have become more defined. I'm looking forward to exploring this interest further. It brings me a certain satisfaction to be able to do so. Because my life is entering the phase in which I am content with all that I have and where it is leading, I have more time to learn about what interests me and nourish those interests (no food pun intended!).

Buon Appetito!!!

4 comments:

  1. Now that I have become more aware of what I am actually eating, I actually really enjoy finding new meals I can create (easily, since I am not the best cook) that still taste great, but are healthy, now I find that the junkier foods that I used to love oh so much, my body cant even handle anymore...I guess that's good....It will keep me healthier in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about the nasty foods not agreeing with you. My body reacts to them the same way...it almost protests!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Interesting, amusing, and lively; really lets your personality shine through! Keep it up, or you keep cooking and I'll keep eating.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have enjoyed cooking as well. I am very interested in "cleaning up" some of what I used to cook as favorites. It is funny what we used to thing of as healthy eating really isn't! Keep up the good work and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete